Badger State Boating Society
Winconsin's organization for kayaking enthusiasts Canoeing, Kayaking and Paddling
Message Board Photos Events Pool Sessions Lessons Join
Whitewater, Quietwater and Sea Kayak

HILT (Hints, Info, Links, Tips) overview (PLEASE READ!)

A place to post information of potential interest to boaters (primarily in whitewater area, but could be touring or general paddling).

HILT (Hints, Info, Links, Tips) overview (PLEASE READ!)

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:40 pm

The intent of this forum (HILT) is to provide a location for hints, links, tips, and other general info for paddlers, and to have a way for it to not get buried (by age and general message traffic, light though it may be) in the general message board. Essentially, this is a "Paddling FAQs" board.

Some of the topics will be of news or interest only to the most novice of paddlers. However, even in some quite basic topics, experienced paddlers may find ideas which may challenge or call into question the way they may have always done things.

Ideally, there should be one 'thread' for any main topic or idea, to which all relevant discussion (additional thoughts, reactions, information, or ideas) should then be posted.
Rob
Class V User

Re: HILT (Hints, Info, Links, Tips) overview (PLEASE READ!)

Postby Rob » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:18 am

Randomly (every couple of months), I check the "Views" tally for "the HILT", running a spreadsheet to analyze the data, breaking it down to determine the number of views each day in each of the topics presented. I have been pleased, thrilled, and even almost perplexed to see that people still seem to be finding anew or coming back to reread topics on "the HILT". (Especially since the BSBS message board is otherwise almost entirely 'dead' (no new posts), I'm sure primarily because virtually all communication seems now to be via Facebook groups.)

For the most recent random period analyzed (56 days, roughly 2 months, roughly July/Aug):
the "AW, gauges, ratings, etc." topic was referenced 2,037 times! Thats more than 36 times each day!
The second most referenced topic is "Shuttling Basics (and beyond)", with 446 hits, which is about 8 times each day.
Even the least referenced topic, "Links: Rainfall related", got 243 hits, or 4-5 each day.

So . . . assuming the message board "Views" counters are correct, this continues to be a very popular set of topics!
It would be cool to hear from some of you. I would encourage posting a brief message below.
You can just say "hi" and/or "thanks", or tell us how you happened to find this site, how long you've been interesting in boating, what boat(s) you paddle, your favorite runs . . ., whatever (boating related) stuff you might like to share.
Rob
Class V User

Return to HILT (Hints, Info, Links, and Tips)